07 March 2014

Cooking Ottolenghi

It seems I've remembered that I have blog. For those (small amount of) followers out there who keep tabs on me, you may have noticed a few posts appear this week. They're new but backdated - I found a bunch of old drafts in the queue that I never published because I was waiting for photos, but never got around to it. No more waiting - just publish.

To swing the pendulum the other direction, this post has many photos! I've been working my way through Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's Jerusalem cookbook over the past few months and posting pics of the adventures on Instagram. Here's what I've cooked:

Mejadra - Eh. Two hours for lentils & rice? Not worth it, to me.

Root Vegetable Slaw - Only used beets & carrots because I don't love kohlrabi (Here's the deal. A lot of people will say you can't truly test a recipe if you don't make it exactly as written. But, I find that BS. If you don't like an ingredient, there is no need to cast off an entire recipe or suffer through it. Just swap, sub, or omit!).

Spiced Chickpeas and Fresh Veggie Salad - I was particularly pleased with this one as it came out just like the photo in the book. Add labneh for a more robust meal.



Shakshuka - Eggs in tomato sauce. Yes. Do it. For dinner.


Spicy Beet, Leek & Walnut Salad - I want a do-over on this one. I liked the beets and it photographed well, but it wasn't my favorite. I'm not sure why.

Clementine Almond Syrup Cake - This cake is tops! It is one of the first recipes that caught my eye when I first checked out this book from the library. I'd been waiting for an excuse to make it, then waiting out a no-sweets period. Note that I didn't use clementines as the store didn't have them, but I subbed in Valencia oranges.



3 comments:

  1. Yay, I was happy to see you in my blog feed the other day! These all look so yummy. I have been wanting to try the conchiglie with yogurt and peas from Jerusalem since Orangette posted about it. Write about it if you do!
    xo Anne H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks mouth watering. I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete